Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Living with a Weak Immune System

Wow, it’s been far too long since I last posted—a good sign health-wise, as usual! I've been super busy with schoolwork and a part-time job, which has consumed a lot of my free time. Despite this, I’ve been in Remission for just over a year and a half now, and now that I’ve had some more time to experience Remicade, I wanted to make a post about a few things I’ve noticed when it comes to living with a weakened immune system. Hope these pointers help for those considering going on Remicade or for anyone who’s just started and is wondering what to expect from their immune system.

1.     Being Immune-Suppressed doesn’t mean you’ll get sick more often. Seriously, all it takes is being a meticulous hand-washer and you can avoid so many colds. I know, it seems like basic hygiene, but it’s so easy to be lazy and skip washing your hands before just one meal. Colds can linger a tad bit longer when you’re immunosuppressed, but that doesn’t mean you have to get sick more often. In fact, after becoming consistent about carrying hand sanitizer and washing my hands, I’ve noticed that I catch colds even less often than I did before starting Remicade! My paranoia about getting sick left me cold-free for months. Even my own sister (who has a perfectly normal immune system) gets sick more often than I do, which I attribute my habitual hand-washing!
Handwashing infographic, courtesy sca.com


2.     Don’t skimp on sleep! This is probably the single MOST important and impactful factor that could push your immune system over the edge. You know how they say that skipping out on sleep lowers your immunity? Well, I can assure you that this is 100% true, and when you’re on Remicade, or any other immunosuppressant, you will definitely feel it the next day if you try to pull even one all-nighter. As a college student, I’ve pushed my limits occasionally, and the next day, unfailingly, I would end up with a cold. For instance, my boyfriend and I once got less than three hours of sleep the night before a trip to Disney World because we had to catch an early morning ride from a friend. I had a great time at Disney, and didn’t even feel that tired during the day. However, when I finally got to sleep that night, I woke up the next morning with a full-blown, scratchy-throat sinus cold. Even being a meticulous hand-washer can't prevent it. It just inevitably happens. A good night’s sleep is important, and you will realize this fully when you are on Remicade.



3.    Some maladies linger longer than others. Although I haven’t noticed it too much with colds, a weakened immune system will cause some things to linger. My sister and I both got a plantar wart on one of our feet after attending a yoga class with our mom. While warts are not all that concerning, they can become a major annoyance and they’re contagious. My sister’s cleared up within a number of months, but I’ve had mine for over a year and I am still at war with it! I attacked it viciously with every over-the-counter remedy I could, but the stubborn blemish remains on my foot. My dermatologist hit it with three rounds of liquid nitrogen to freeze it off, but that wasn’t enough. Finally, a few days ago I had it zapped with a laser treatment, which stung like a hot needle, so I’m hoping this will finish it off for good. Colds may not linger a whole lot longer than usual, but when it comes to something as stubborn as a wart, get it treated as fast as possible!

These are the three most significant things I've noticed about living with a weakened immune system. I'm grateful that these are the only side effects I've dealt with. Thanks to Remicade, I live a pretty normal life now. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has had similar minor side effects. Being a night owl, it was the impact of a lack of sleep that surprised me the most after starting Remicade. But if you take away anything from this post, let it be to never go barefoot in a yoga studio. You will regret it.

Until next time,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment