Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Remission: Weight Gain and the Return to Normalcy

It’s been a while since my last post, and that is because I have been very busy with my fall semester of college and marathons of The Office! Thankfully, I am currently in full remission, and I was able to successfully complete the semester symptom-free. Knowing how horrible and painful ulcerative colitis can be, it is surprising now that I can experience the day as a normal person. No more having to rush to the bathroom or brace oneself for the abdominal pain and cramping—absolutely nothing. Sometimes, I think of my disease and it seems as though it happened to another person. Although the knowledge that the UC could come back is always looming, I stay optimistic. Hopefully it won’t bother me for a good long while. (Or ever, please? That would be great.)

       With remission comes the exciting process of weight-gain! Both times that the UC has flared, I have struggled with severe malnutrition and dehydration. It rapidly takes its toll, and UC can bring even the healthiest body into a state of atrophy. I am proud to say that I have gained back all the 26 lbs that I lost, and I am back at my normal weight! My lowest weight was around 91 lbs.

Before                                            After


However, it’s not as easy as just picking up where you left off and gorging on whatever you want, as outsiders often assume. At first you need to be very careful about your diet. The hospital will usually transition you from a clear liquid diet to a full liquid diet, and then to a diet of “soft foods,” but after that it’s up to you. You have to be careful about what you eat, as fibrous foods can irritate the healing lining of your intestine. Spicy foods and fried/greasy foods should also, generally, be avoided. I find that it’s best to stick with “flare foods” for a while, which are easy on your insides and typically bland. Mashed potatoes, apple sauce, and chicken (thank goodness), are some of the first foods you can reintroduce to your diet. It’s always such a relief to be free from the Jell-O, Gatorade, and soup broth diet. I have found that eggs and white breads are also a good source of food during this transition. (Bagels are your friend!) Fortunately for my taste buds, I also tolerate cheese and yogurt.


Eggs, white toast, a little butter, and Kefir to drink: a typical breakfast.
As for the vegetables, I usually take it slow and add in fiber very gradually. Cooked carrots are some of the first vegetables that I introduce back into my diet. I seem to do well with mushrooms and cooked green beans, too. Eating vegetables cooked and in small amounts is beneficial when first reintroducing fiber to one’s diet. Eventually, after eating well and taking it easy, the weight will begin to come back. Everyone has different food tolerances, and some people have to be careful of certain trigger foods even on a good day.


Unfortunately, for many the symptoms of ulcerative colitis don’t let up. Often people experience symptoms every day, even during time periods in which the disease is less severe. It is frequently a struggle for people to achieve full remission, so I consider myself lucky that my medications were able to accomplish this. 

Here's to staying that way!   

No comments:

Post a Comment